Yes, GayLads but they are far from being 'gay' because the word simply means 'happy' in the good old days. And happy were the folks who watched them for the first when they participated in the Singapore Blue Diamonds Competition in the early 60s. They clinched the title with The Antarctics acquiring second place.Andy Lim interviewed JAMES CHOA (image: front) recently when he related his musical experience and career as a member of the GayLads and The Flamingos Combo.
"I started singing at the age of 17 in 1959 as a singing group called, The Gaylads with classmates, Philip Goi, Charles Koh and Razak Rahman (image: from left). We won a few talentime contests including the title of "The Blue Diamonds of Singapore" when both The Blue Diamonds and Anneke Gronloh were in Singapore. They were part of the panel of judges for the competition.
After winning the title we were featured in the first few RTS (Radio, TV, Singapore) shows called POP INN and DENDANG RIA. We sung for the very first LIVE show in Singapore, produced by well-known ballet dancer, Mr Vernon Martinus.
In the mid-60s the group enlarged from a singing group to a combo band and included in the group was Jimmy Chan, pianist (currently at Marina Mandarin Hotel), Audie Yusoff and Sidek (took turns to play lead guitar), Tommy Tan was at the drums and Robert Song, percussionist/singer. The combo carried on till 1970 but was disbanded because Charles Koh went into the medical profession and became a successful gynaecologist in the U.S.
I became a teacher and subsequently a sales person at an MNC. Since my first love is music, I learnt to play the keyboard and joined another group called, "The Mysterians" but we played only for private functions and at the camps at Sembawang.
As the years passed, I played and sang at the restaurant called, "House Of Peranakan" at the former Hotel Negara when it was first opened in 1998. I am still performing there now but the hotel has a new management and it is called The Claymore. I used to play every night but during the latter part of 2006 I performed only thrice a week.
Jimmy is now a full time pianist at Marina Mandarin. Philip, Razak, Sidek and Tommy as far as I know, are still actively involved in their own business or working with some companies. Audie Yusoff has passed on."
And what is one wish that James has today? "To continue playing on the keyboard and sing. Do come to see me at The Claymore Hotel and enjoy *peranakan food too. Great combination!"
For your information James plays, standards, jazz, country, rock and roll, especially hits from the 50s and 60s. For some musical memories check him out!
*Peranakan food is Chinese/Malay cuisine which originated from Malaka (Malaysia) and Indonesia.
Another Manhunt completed!
(Copyrights Reserved).
No comments:
Post a Comment